Friday, October 4, 2013

The Stereotypes of a Lacrosse Player

****Disclaimer: I don't enjoy when people stereotype lacrosse players with negative connotations, I just happen to fit the part.****

Today I'm going to write to you all about the stereotypes, both false and true that accompany playing lacrosse.  First, if you're not familiar, watch this video and you'll feel like you know everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqg01Nk3SYI

This is known to the viewing audience as the most stereotypical lax bro to ever grace the Earth.  Although the video is clearly satirical, it holds many truths and I will show you how they apply to me and my life.

I do name my sticks. Judge me. If you don't care for your sticks they won't care for you when you're on the field. It sounds superstitious and strange but an ignored stick won't play how you want it to.  My closet is full of pastel button downs, bow ties and boat shoes.  Most of the Summer you can find me wearing a lacrosse pinnie of some sort, whether it's from a camp or a former team.  My choices for pants over the Summer and spring include exclusively pastel shorts and athletic shorts. Except on game day; dressing nice is a must on game day. Most of the time when I hang out with my friends on breaks it involves ripping a little bit of cheddar (heading to the nearest turf field/backyard and having a shoot around on an empty net). This is all purely coincidence, by the way. I'm not a huge fan of being called a lax bro at all.

Now, I'll go over a little vocabulary:

Flow: The hair the shows out of the back of a players helmet.
Snipe/Cheddar/Top Cheese: A high shot
GB: Ground ball
BTB: Behind the back (pass/shot)
Sauce: To win a 1 on 1 match-up effortlessly
Bag: A deep and undefined pocket in the stick head
Fish/scrub: A bad lacrosse player
Rip: A hard shot
Yard sale: When a defenseman knocks the offensive players stick out of his hands with a check


But I'll go back to the video.

Believe it or not, dodging through the hallways of a house, and to a lesser extent a school, is a lot of fun. As in the party scene, I don't believe I've ever tried to show off stick tricks to break the ice but I won't say it's a bad idea either. I do grow my hair out every year for the Spring season. I'm a firm believer in the mantra "Look good, play good" so how you look on the field does affect how good of a player I think you'll be. There are exceptions to the rule but as a whole it is fairly accurate.

So that's my insight on the stereotypes of a lacrosse player. And, although I hate to admit it I am in accordance with a fair amount of them.

Side note: my old school actually played the actor in the video in lacrosse a few years before I got there and they would all give him shit over this every year. It wouldn't be that cool because he's just in a viral video but he's kind of a celebrity in the lacrosse community.

And for comic relief, one more  vocab word.

Hospital/Buddy Pass: A high arching pass that leaves a player vulnerable to devastating hits... Like I was given in the video below! Haha those are never fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMY1wNMGmUE

3 comments:

  1. OD I'm done!!! I feel like I've seen that video before. This is funny! I love lax players and just watching them because their egos are so big!! Some are funny but some are actually douche bags. Even though you don't qualify yourself as a lax bro you seem to have all the characteristics of one. (Not to offend you) The thing you seem to be "lacking" is the huge ego which is a nice change! The deck at the end was pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superstition is a big part of sports. My high school baseball team had this thing where we couldn't cross our bats...ever. We wouldn't step on the chalk either. It may sound weird, but I'll back you up all the way. I feel like the 1% of stereotypical lax bros give the remaining 99% a bad rep so I'm all about challenging those stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always stereotypes of every sport out there. Everytime I thought of stereotypical lacrosse players, this came out to exactly that. The famous LAX Bros were pretty weird to all of us, they were pretty friendly, don't get me wrong, but like every other sport out there, they had some weird traditions and ways of going about themselves. I'm glad that you seem like the chill kind of LAX Bro though.

    ReplyDelete